Chicken A La King was a treat growing up. Though I don’t make it that often – my sons always find it a treat as well.
- 1 stick of butter
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 4oz can of mushroom pieces (drain and keep the liquid) or chop one cup of white or baby bella mushrooms, chopped
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- large pinch of salt
- couple grinds of pepper (can adjust the salt and pepper to taste later)
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 1/3 cup chicken broth (store bought is fine but homemade is better)
- 2 cups of cooked chicken, chopped
- 1 jar of diced pimientos, (drain)
- 10 slices of toasted bread, cut into triangles
Have the ingredients in what the French call mise en place – which means “in place”. In some recipes, you have time to gather your stuff as you go but not here. It’s a pretty quick dish.
Have containers for the:
- bell pepper and mushrooms
- flour, salt & pepper
- mushroom liquid, milk & broth
- chicken & pimientos
Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the chopped bell pepper and mushrooms. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring every occasionally.
This is where it gets fast. Make sure your liquid is within reach.
Add the flour, salt, and pepper. Stir constantly until nice and bubbly. Move quickly (and carefully) to cool burner and stir in the liquid. Move back to heat and heat until it is boiling, don’t stop stirring (or it will burn on the bottom). Once it is boiling, stir for 1 minute. Now, add in the chicken and pimientos. Give a couple of minutes to heat the chicken turn off the burner and move to a cool burner.
Serve over toast.